Hudson County flag

Hudson County flag
Jersey City, Bayonne, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, Secaucus, Kearny, Harrison, East Newark, North Bergen, Weehawken. This blog is only to keep track of new additions to the website.

Jan 17, 2013

Genealogy DNA

A few years ago I did my y-dna (male dna handed from father to son through centuries) from ancestry.com, mostly for the future (it was on sale then, $79 now $149).

Then I found a relative online who I never met, with a slightly different last name, after we compared trees and found new info we are related.  He's my great grandfather's brother's grandson.  He seemed to always be trying to spend money on genealogy, overseas records, subscriptions and not using the sites.  I told him one day if you want you can do the dna swab test and we can check it out.  Well it worked, 33 out of 33 matched.  The testing place never knew we are related.

So lately I've been thinking that I'll do the mtdna, it's the gene that handed down through your mother to her children and it came from her mother and her mother and so on.  But it's too expensive $170, $200 something like that.  I also wanted to have my brother-in-law tested for his male lineage.  Once again too expensive, waiting for a sale.

I saw a sale or two but it was still high priced even on sale.  Then I saw 23andme.com was doing a sale.  They want to boost their online database to one million.  23andme ? sounds familiar, I researched,  they did some dna tests on Finding your Roots on PBS with Henry Louis Gates.  Ok, I'm liking it so far.  I couldn't figure out what they were testing y or mt?  So I sent them an email, they said their test does both.

"Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. The 23andMe Personal Genome Service is a genotyping analysis of about one million SNPs resulting in interpreted data for both your genetic ancestry as well as your genetic disease risks and traits for a simple price of $99. The 23andMe Personal Genome Service includes Autosomal DNA, Mitochondrial DNA, and Y-chromosome (Males Only). "

Their website also says they can tell about some inherited diseases and allergies to prescription drugs.

I ordered three tests.  One for me, my wife and my brother-in-law.
I've just mailed back my test kit.  It is a spit test rather than a swab test.  I will compare it to my early test and let you know, they said results should be 4-6 weeks. Postage is additional and about $10 for one or multiple kits shipped to the same address (addressed and prepaid return shipping).

Just thought I'd let you know in case you're interested.

Ed