Hudson County flag

Hudson County flag
Jersey City, Bayonne, Hoboken, Union City, West New York, Guttenberg, Secaucus, Kearny, Harrison, East Newark, North Bergen, Weehawken. This blog is only to keep track of new additions to the website.

Apr 4, 2013

update for my dna @ 23andme

I'm finding no connections.  No, I don't know dna and I've read some posts and I haven't seen anyone else that knows either.  They know dna though, I can't understand what they're talking about but others do.  I just need one break-thru.  There's lots of relatives for me to chose from (995), possible 3rd, 4th or 5th cousins but we're not connecting,  names or places.


I went to a seminar given by a genealogist (K. Brandt) on a few different subjects.  One subject was dna (she also analyses dna results for clients, $1200 bucks).  She stated that the autosomal test should only be used or will work best when you have a in-depth family tree (with an ancestors other children's descendants).  See below:

  • Without the paper trail of your family history, unscrambling the autosomal results is, well…., probably impossible. So this is not the test to use if you have not tackled a pretty strong 5 generation family trace. (K. Brandt)

  • It is important to remember this test is for “recent ancestors”; 5 generations back. If you are trying to determine your eligibility for the Society of Charlemagne or Magna Carta, this is not the test for you (unless of course you happen to be a cousin of a society member and just need to prove the last 3-5 generations). (K. Brandt)

    • Ancestry's dna is only about 70% correct. (K. Brandt)

    Ancestry has lowered their price on the everything dna (autosomal).  I've heard they have about 120,000 dna subscribers. 

    23and me is trying to get 1 million, I don't know how many they have. 

    FTdna Family Tree DNA has lowered some prices.  Y12-dna (males) $49 but I don't think so.  I did the Y33 and if someone doesn't match almost all the 33 markers, you can forget about it.

    23andme has new prices one kit @ $99, additional are 20% off ($79.20 ea), plus shipping ($10 ? ea)


    I hope to have an update to this blog.